Thursday, July 23, 2009

Trax Gallery

Haven't had a chance to blog the last couple of days. I've been working on my final memoir for my on line class and compiling information and research for a paper I'm writing for NCECA.

I am a recipient of the 2009 Regina Brown Undergraduate Student Fellowship awarded by the National Council on Education for the Ceramic Arts. I was awarded this fellowship to aid in my research on the "Future of Function" (working title) - more specifically, potters using the wheel. Part of my research is contacting and asking working potters, ceramic artist, and "experts" a serious of questions. I am lucky as I have had wonderful teachers and professionals that have put me in contact with some fabulous artists.
One of my favorites is Sandy Simon, she is a potter, and gallery owner. She sells her work and represents several notable contemporary functional ceramic artist working today, in her gallery Trax, located in Berkeley, California. Trax has an online presents as well.

http://www.traxgallery.com/

Sandy's work is wheel thrown and expressive reminding me of something other than its
intended function. It serves its function with tons of personality. An example of this would be her covered casserole dishes that resemble sailor hats.
The online experience is wonderful at Trax, when visiting the site I am only frustrated that I cannot feel the pots!!! Maybe some day...

No comments:

Post a Comment